Family Theatre Commission
- Stratford Circus Arts Centre (SCAC) and Kala Sangam will commission a new piece of family theatre by an artist or company
- The commission will share & celebrate British Muslim experiences, culture and communities
- The commission with premiere in Autumn 2020 in London & Bradford
- Makers & artists of Muslim heritage are encouraged to apply
- Applications close Fri 28 June at 5pm
SCAC in Newham East London and Kala Sangam in Bradford will work together to commission a brand new piece of work to premiere in Autumn 2020. Recognising a lack of representation in children’s theatre, the organisations will partner with Amal, a programme of the Saïd Foundation, to support artists/companies bringing stories of British Muslim experiences to the stage.
The aims of the commission include increasing understanding of British Muslim communities by celebrating culture on stage, as well as ensuring children see themselves represented in theatre.
Britain’s rich and vibrant culture is increasingly represented in film, television and theatre. As arts organisations we recognise the progress in adult theatre spaces and know that the communities we serve more often see themselves reflected in our work and programmes. This cannot be said for children’s work and there are challenges in making sure children in modern Britain see their experience reflected on stage.
This commission is particularly aimed at artists seeking to put British Muslim experiences on the stage. With shared values of inclusivity, access, representation and joy, we hope to bring an exciting new piece to communities in Newham, Bradford and the wider UK.
- The piece must be suitable for ages 3+
- A scratch piece will be developed over Summer 2019 to be shared in November 2019,
this can take the form of a short performance, presentation, or other form suitable to
the company and process
- The final commissioned piece will be created in Summer 2020 to premier and tour in
- The proposal must demonstrate how your piece will support our objectives around developing art/artists representing & celebrating British Muslim experiences
- Suited for small scale touring
- With an understanding that additional funding may be required